Thursday, April 7, 2011

USA - 1918 Breguet Br.14A2

A French Bird in American Service

Breguet Br.14A2 - 1918
Breguet Br.14A2 - 1918

It has been one of those days where it seemed like I was wading neck deep in a miasma of stupidity. Earlier I attempted to share my previous posts with people I know on F.B. It seemed to be a simple matter since I have successfully shared in the past. Much to my still smoldering annoyance, my post was banned due to it being deemed as "Objectionable Material and/or Profanity". Evidently whoever set parameters for their idiot net nanny was not a history buff. So I am posting something which has no mention of "He Who's Name Must Not Be Spoken" nor his infernal death machines.

Alright! I'm over it... There is nothing that crys out to me to chose a particular aircraft to draw like a bit of flash. All those checks, stripes, fiddly markings begging to be draw up makes me eager to jump in and render them.

When the Americans entered the war the aviators in the American Expeditionary Force flew French and British aircraft. This example served in the A.E.F. 9th Aero Squadron which operated both the Breguet Br.14A2 and the Salmson 2 during 1918.

Used throughout the war, the innovative Breguet Br.14 was a highly successful biplane used by the French, Belgian and American air services. Designed by Louis Breguet in 1916, it was one of the first aircraft constructed with duralumin in the airframe.

Rugged and versatile, it was mass produced in several variations, including a seaplane model. Before the end of the war, the Br.14 saw service as a reconnaissance aircraft, a day/night bomber and an air ambulance. This was one of the best bombers the French used. It was produced up until 1926.

References

  1. Breguet Bre.4. (2011, January 5). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 07:25, January 11, 2011, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Breguet_Bre.4&oldid=406067608
  2. Taylor, Michael J. H. (1989). Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation. London: Studio Editions. pp. 202.
  3. World Aircraft Information Files. London: Bright Star Publishing. pp. File 890 Sheets 78-79.

No comments: